Re: [HACKERS] Most Advanced

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Most Advanced
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 15 Feb 2000, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Is Interbase any good?  I never heard of them much.  Sounds like it is a
> PC database like dbase, right?  They don't scale very well.

"InterBase is an enterprise-level database system used by firms and
agencies like Nokia, MCI, Northern Telecom, NASA, the US Army, and Boeing.
Despite its speed and capabilities, it has been a well-kept secret and
holds an insignificant share of the relational database market. Growth of
that market has slowed, reducing chance for InterBase to increase its
share as a proprietary product."

Although they do stand in the tradition of dBase and Paradox, they do
appear to be a serious product. This URL might give you an idea what kind
of SQL (and beyond) they support.

<http://www.interbase.com/products/dsqlsyntax.html>

Also, they seem to have an edge (against us) in the areas of logging
(journaling) and distributed stuff. Their client languages seem to
concentrate around Delphi, C++, and Java.

I am just wondering how/whether they will be able to enlist any outside
developers in significant masses. (see also Mozilla)