Re: [HACKERS] How to make a patch?

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: [HACKERS] How to make a patch?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 8 Feb 2000, Chris wrote:

> How do I make a patch that includes new files?
>
> Previously I was doing a cvs diff -R -N -c
> to make a patch, but this doesn't work for
> new files. I can't do cvs add, and using
> plain diff is near-impossible on a CVS directory.

Here is something that was recommended to me by Jan, and it seems a number
of other people follow a similar road.

When you checked out or updated your cvs copy and you want to start
working on something, make one copy like
$ cp -r pgsql pgsql.orig

Then run configure on that copy. Then copy this one like
$ cp -r pgsql.orig pgsql.work

Then work on this one. I find it occasionally useful to be able to do a
make install on the .orig tree as well do "see how it used to behave".
(You don't want to mess up your cvs tree for that.)

When you're done you create a patch between pgsql.orig and pgsql.work
using diff -c -r whatnot and send that in. Then you do cvs update again an
the game begins anew. This also has the advantage that if someone mangles
your patch slightly (such as running indent on it) you won't get funny
merge conflicts when you cvs update over your self-patched cvs tree.