Re: [HACKERS] gperf anyone?

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: [HACKERS] gperf anyone?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 19 Jan 2000, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> [Charset ISO-8859-1 unsupported, filtering to ASCII...]
> > On 2000-01-18, Bruce Momjian mentioned:
> >
> > > Can you run our keywords.c using our method and gperf and see if there
> > > is any speed difference?
> >
> > It seems to have a speed advantage of about 2.5. But in practice that
> > means that 1 million words take half a second. It's not a big deal to me,
> > I was just wondering before I throw it out. I guess it really only makes a
> > difference for compilers, which operate on 1000+ lines.
> >

> The big difference may be that the compiler has variables/types that are
> added dynamically while running, while our list is static.  Insert time
> for our types is zero because we don't add SQL keywords at runtime.

No, compiler don't do this either. This is specifically for keyword
lookup. The whole idea is that you have one set of keywords that hardly
ever changes (such as for programming languages), then you take one
afternoon off, play around with the different options until you have a
lookup function which processes your particular keyword set fastest.

Again, this is not a big deal to me, I just did it to play around. In any
case it seems to run faster, but I wasn't sure if people wanted to bother.