Re: AW: [HACKERS] inserts/updates problem under stressing !

От Oleg Bartunov
Тема Re: AW: [HACKERS] inserts/updates problem under stressing !
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Andreas,

I rewrote my function but got a problem how to know if update fails:

CREATE FUNCTION "acc_hits" (int4) RETURNS datetime AS '
Declare   keyval      Alias For $1;   cnt         int4;   curtime     datetime;
Begin   curtime := ''now'';   Update hits set count = count + 1,last_access = curtime where msg_id = keyval;   if Not
Foundthen     ??????????       -- first_access inserted on default, last_access is NULL       Insert Into hits
(msg_id,count)values (keyval, 1);        End If;   return curtime;

End;
' LANGUAGE 'plpgsql';

regards,    Oleg

On Mon, 26 Jul 1999, Zeugswetter Andreas IZ5 wrote:

> Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 10:31:33 +0200
> From: Zeugswetter Andreas IZ5 <Andreas.Zeugswetter@telecom.at>
> To: 'Oleg Bartunov' <oleg@sai.msu.su>
> Subject: AW: [HACKERS] inserts/updates problem under stressing !
>

> > CREATE FUNCTION "acc_hits" (int4) RETURNS int4 AS '
> > Declare
> >     keyval      Alias For $1;
> >     cnt         int4;
> >     curtime     datetime;
> > Begin
> >     curtime := ''now'';
> >     Select count into cnt from hits where msg_id = keyval;
> >     if Not Found then
> >         cnt := 1;
> >         -- first_access inserted on default, last_access is NULL
> >         Insert Into hits (msg_id,count) values (keyval, cnt);
> >     else
> >         cnt := cnt + 1;
> >         Update hits set count = cnt,last_access = curtime where msg_id =
> > keyval;
> >     End If;
> >     return cnt;
> > End;
> > ' LANGUAGE 'plpgsql';
> >

> Ok, this proc is not concurrent capable. This is because in the time between
> the select and the update some other connection can update count.
>
> 1. Change the update to:
> > Update hits set count = count+1, last_access = curtime where msg_id =
> > keyval;
> >
> 2. the insert is also not concurrent capable, since there could be two
> simultaneous
> first accesses.
>
> It looks like there will be more updates than inserts, so I would change the
> above to
> 1. try update
> 2. if num rows affected = 0 do the insert
>
> I don't know how to get the rows affected, but this should be possible.
>
> Andreas

phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83