Re: [HACKERS] Re: [SQL] inserts/updates problem understressing !

От Oleg Bartunov
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Re: [SQL] inserts/updates problem understressing !
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 26 Jul 1999, Vadim Mikheev wrote:

> Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 10:50:28 +0800
> From: Vadim Mikheev <vadim@krs.ru>
> To: Philip Warner <pjw@rhyme.com.au>
> Cc: pgsql-hackers@postgreSQL.org, pgsql-sql@postgreSQL.org,
>     Oleg Bartunov <oleg@sai.msu.su>
> Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: [SQL] inserts/updates problem understressing !
>
> Philip Warner wrote:
> >
> > The usual way around this sort of problem is to update the counter as the
> > first thing you do in any transaction. This locks the row and prevents any
> > possible deadlock:
>
> But if there was no record then nothing will be locked...
> Without ability to read dirty data LOCK is the only way.

I agree, no data, no locking.

> > diagnostics' is not yet applied (I may not have mailed it yet...), and I am
> > not sure if plpgsql starts a new TX for each statment - if so, you need to
>                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> It doesn't.
>
> > start a TX in the procedure, or prior to valling it.

How do I start a TX in the procedure ? Is't possible ?
I don't understand this because a procedure must return something, so
there're no point where to end a TX.
Oleg

> Vadim

phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

Сообщение: Re: [SQL] inserts/updates problem under stressing !
Сообщение: Re: [SQL] inserts/updates problem under stressing !