Re: [HACKERS] problem compiling with egcs 1.1.1

От Oleg Bartunov
Тема Re: [HACKERS] problem compiling with egcs 1.1.1
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 9 Dec 1998, Thomas G. Lockhart wrote:

> Date: Wed, 09 Dec 1998 17:58:39 +0000
> From: "Thomas G. Lockhart" <lockhart@alumni.caltech.edu>
> To: Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
> Cc: pgsql-hackers@postgreSQL.org
> Subject: Re: [HACKERS] problem compiling with egcs 1.1.1
>
> > Are you sure you are right to blame the compiler?  I should think this
> > would be a C library issue, not the compiler's fault...
>
> Well, I've *got* to blame something! ;)
>
> In my limited testing, the only variable was the compiler. I did not
> change the C library. So, one can point fingers at the compiler for not
> behaving the same as the old compiler, or one can surmise that there is
> a deeper story of older C library misbehavior which was covered up by
> the older compiler in a great conspiracy. I leaned toward blaming the
> compiler, on the assumption that for most simple math compilers probably
> generate inline code rather than going to a library. It may be that for
> any compiler at high optimization levels you tend to see rounding
> problems since they don't bother cleaning up results.
>
> Don't know what the real story is, just that the ".9999" behavior
> reminds me of my Unix boxes from a dozen years ago, not my recent ones.
>
> So, has anyone tried a new egcs with a new glibc2? I figured that since
> Oleg is a bleeding-edge kind of guy (new egcs, Linux kernel 2.1.1xx,
> etc.) he probably has that new combination.

Hey, I'm not very bleeding edge man :-) I'm still afraid glibc2
(I'm slackware based Linuxoid). I'm using egcs almost everyday
and the only problem I got was compilation of 6.4 with some snapshot
of 6.4. I'm glad in 1.1.1 release the problem was gone.

But on production servers ( I have 6 ppros ) I even never installed
egcs. I hate to have additional problem but I want to test perspective
tool for myself on my private computers to have own opinion.
Oleg

>                   - Tom

phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83