Re: [HACKERS] What about LIMIT in SELECT ?

От Oleg Bartunov
Тема Re: [HACKERS] What about LIMIT in SELECT ?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
This is a little bit off-topic,
I did some timings with latest cvs on my real database
( all output redirected to /dev/null ), table contains 8798 records,
31 columns, order key have indices.

1.select count(*) from work_flats;
0.02user 0.00system 0:00.18elapsed 10%CPU (0avgtext+0avgdata 0maxresident)k

2.select * from work_flats order by rooms, metro_id;
2.35user 0.25system 0:10.11elapsed 25%CPU (0avgtext+0avgdata 0maxresident)k

3.set query_limit to '150';
SET VARIABLE
select * from work_flats order by rooms, metro_id;
0.06user 0.00system 0:02.75elapsed 2%CPU (0avgtext+0avgdata 0maxresident)k

4.begin;
declare tt cursor  for
select * from work_flats order by rooms, metro_id;
fetch 150 in tt;
end;
0.05user 0.01system 0:02.76elapsed 2%CPU (0avgtext+0avgdata 0maxresident)k

As you can see timings for query_limit and cursor are very similar,
I didn't expected this. So, in principle, enhanced version of fetch
(with offset) would cover all we need from LIMIT, but query_limit would be
still useful, for example to restrict loadness of server.
Will all enhancements you discussed go to the 6.4 ?
I'm really interested in testing this stuff because I begin new project
and everything we discussed here are badly needed.

    Regards,

     Oleg

On Thu, 15 Oct 1998, Jan Wieck wrote:

> Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 14:23:43 +0200 (MET DST)
> From: Jan Wieck <jwieck@debis.com>
> To: t-ishii@sra.co.jp
> Cc: jwieck@debis.com, oleg@sai.msu.su, hackers@postgreSQL.org
> Subject: Re: [HACKERS] What about LIMIT in SELECT ?
>
> Tatsuo Ishii wrote:
>
> > I think we have understanded your point. set query_limit is just a
> > easy alternative of using cursor and fetch.
> >
> > >    I  haven't  looked  at  Tatsuo's  patch  very well. But if it
> > >    limits the amount of data going into the sort (on ORDER  BY),
> > >    it  will  break it! The requested ordering could be different
> > >    from what the choosen index might return. The used  index  is
> > >    choosen by the planner upon the qualifications given, not the
> > >    ordering wanted.
> >
> > I think it limits the final result. When query_limit is set,
> > the arg "numberTuples" of ExecutePlan() is set to it instead of 0
> > (this means no limit).
> >
> > Talking about "offset," it shouldn't be very difficult. I guess all we
> > have to do is adding a new arg "offset" to ExecutePlan() then making
> > obvious modifications. (and of course we have to modify set
> > query_limit syntax but it's trivial)
>
>     The offset could become
>
>         FETCH n IN cursor [OFFSET n];
>
>     and
>
>         SELECT ... [LIMIT offset,count];
>
>     The  FETCH command already calls ExecutorRun() with the given
>     count (the tuple limit). Telling it the offset too is  really
>     simple.   And  ExecutorRun()  could  check  if  the  toplevel
>     executor node is an index scan. Skipping  tuples  during  the
>     index  scan  requires,  that  all  qualifications  are in the
>     indexqual, thus any tuple returned by it will become a  final
>     result  row  (as it would be in the simple 1-table-queries we
>     discussed).  If  that  isn't  the  case,  the  executor  must
>     fallback to skip the final result tuples and that is after an
>     eventually processed sort/merge of the complete  result  set.
>     That would only reduce communication to the client and memory
>     required there to buffer the result  set  (not  a  bad  thing
>     either).
>
>     ProcessQueryDesc()  in tcop/pquery.c also calls ExecutorRun()
>     but with a constant 0 tuple count. Having offset and count in
>     the  parsetree  would  make it without any state variables or
>     SET command. And it's the only clean way to restrict LIMIT to
>     SELECT  queries.  Any  thrown  in LIMIT to ExecutorRun() from
>     another place could badly hurt the rewrite  system.  Remember
>     that   non-instead   actions   on   insert/update/delete  are
>     processed before the  original  query!  And  what  about  SQL
>     functions that get processed during the evaluation of another
>     query (view using an SQL function for count(*))?
>
>     A little better would it be to make the LIMIT values able  to
>     be  parameter  nodes. C or PL functions use the prepared plan
>     feature  of  the  SPI  manager   for   performance   reasons.
>     Especially  the  offset  value  might  there  need  to  be  a
> [...]

phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83