What about LIMIT in SELECT ?

От Oleg Bartunov
Тема What about LIMIT in SELECT ?
Дата
RE: [HACKERS] What about LIMIT in SELECT ?
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

I took a look at mysql and was very impressed with   possibility
to limit number of rows returned from select. This is very useful
feature for Web applications when user need to browse results of
selection page by page. In my application I have to do full
select every time user press button [Next] and show requested page
using perl. This works more or less ok for several thousands rows but
totally unusable for large selections. But now I'm about to work
with big database and I don't know how I'll stay with postgres :-)
It'll just doesn't work if customer will wait several minutes just browse
(subselects, transaction ..) but for most Web applications I need
just select :-) I dont' know how LIMIT is implemented in Mysql and
I know it's not in SQL92 standart, but this makes Mysql very popular.

Is it difficult to implement this feature in postgres ?

    Regards,

        Oleg

phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83