Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL 7 RPMs coming soon

От Oleg Bartunov
Тема Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL 7 RPMs coming soon
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Lamar,

I got report from bulgarian user who had problem with locale under
MANDRAKE caused by 'su -l postgres ...' I'll forward it to you.
Incorrectly configured i18n (LC_ALL) could  override (?) locale
settings even if LC_CTYPE, LC_COLLATE explicitly specified in
startup script. I think you could check if all locale environment
are consistent with each other.
Oleg
On Mon, 7 Feb 2000, Lamar Owen wrote:

> Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2000 12:12:22 -0500
> From: Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org>
> To: pgsql-hackers@postgreSQL.org
> Subject: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL 7 RPMs coming soon
>
> This is a heads up about some changes I'm considering for the PostgreSQL
> 7.0 RPMS. If the RPMs do not interest you, or you are not involved in
> supporting PostgreSQL in the RPM form, then feel free to hit delete.
>
> I wanted to get feedback from the group before I made any changes -- 7.0
> is
> slated to go beta Feb 15, and I plan on having RPM's available within a
> few hours of the official beta release.  I already have feedback from my
> contact at RedHat -- and it is complete agreement with the changes I am
> proposing.
>
> First, 7.0 has changed many small things about the operation of the
> system, including a new procedural language (plperl), a reorganized
> regression test suite, and a new 'pg_ctl' command to start and stop the
> postmaster.
>
> As a result, I will be having to make some minor changes; and there is
> one major change I want to make.
>
> 1.)    I want to move the actual database directory from /var/lib/pgsql to
> /var/lib/pgsql/data -- this will give the ability to store backups and
> other scratch data in /var/lib/pgsql without disturbing the main
> database, in an FHS-compliant manner (the current regression tests AND
> upgrade scripts are not in compliance with the FHS in terms of their
> packaging, unfortunately -- I want to rectify this). This of course will
> require sufficient documentation -- and I will provide functionality to
> use an existing data structure in /var/lib/pgsql instead, until the user
> moves it (new installations will default the initdb to
> /var/lib/pgsql/data).
>
> 2.)    I will be enabling logs and logrotate functionality in the next
> release.
>
> 3.)    /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql will be rewritten to use the pg_ctl
> command, instead of doing the start/stop manually.
>
> 4.)    The new plperl language will go in postgresql-perl.
>
> 5.)    I am considering splitting out pgaccess and the tk client from
> postgresql-tcl to postgresql-tk -- I have had several requests from
> users of servers that are using the tcl client and the pltcl language
> who do not have X11 installed, a current requirement for the
> installation of postgresql-tcl.
>
> 6.)    And, of course, an update to version 7.0. This will involve
> extensive testing for Alpha, Sparc, and MIPS support -- I am hoping that
> Ryan Kirkpatrick and Uncle George can get the Alpha patches in order for
> 7.0, as I don't believe Tom had time to do the fmgr rewrite like he
> wanted. I am also hoping that a number of people with MIPS, ARM, Alpha,
> and Sparc (both 32 and 64) will volunteer to beta test 7.0.
>
> The initial builds will be done for Intel only -- until I get patches
> and/or confirmation of build on other architectures from those who are
> [...]

phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83