Re: Helping application programmers catch threading bugs

От Kris Jurka
Тема Re: Helping application programmers catch threading bugs
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc

On Mon, 13 Apr 2009, Kevin Grittner wrote:

> Based on this thread:
>
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-admin/2009-04/msg00100.php
>
> I was wondering whether it would make sense to add a checkThreading
> method to help programmers who make such mistakes catch them more
> easily.

The JDBC spec requires a Connection to be thread safe.  Ideally it should
be able to issue queries in parallel, but PG can't do that, so we block
instead.  There are subtle threading bugs in the JDBC driver, but they're
below the Connection level, for unusual things like executing a
PreparedStatement while issuing setXXX calls on the same object from
another thread.

Reading the thread didn't reveal an adequate description of the actual
problem, so it's not clear if there's anything to be done here or if it
was operator error.

Kris Jurka