Re: bytea memory improvement

От Kris Jurka
Тема Re: bytea memory improvement
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc

On Wed, 28 Jun 2006, Luis Vilar Flores wrote:

>     Can any JDBC developer give some feedback about this patch ? Memory
> usage is a real issue for a few applications ...

It looks like a reasonable thing to do, but could you give us some more
details on the cost/benefits?  Your original email said it cost an extra
30ms for 5MB of data on your machine.  What's percentage of the original
cost is this?  Also you could be more clear on what percentage of memory
this saves.  For the worst case scenario your going to get four bytes of
escaped data for every real byte so the total size of the original method
would be 4 + 4 + 1 and for the new method 4 + 1, so a savings of 44%?  Is
that what you've calculated?

Finally you haven't actually submitted a patch, you've just sent a
modified copy of a whole file.  Since it's a small file that changes
infrequently it's not a big deal, but we prefer context diffs if
you can.

Kris Jurka