Re: Not incrementing the 'serial' counter on failed inserts.

От Louis Bertrand
Тема Re: Not incrementing the 'serial' counter on failed inserts.
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
Arcady,

I'd make the id field just an integer and use a separate sequence:
 CREATE SEQUENCE idnumber;
 SELECT setval( 'idnumber', nnnn); /* nnnn is your starting number */

Perform the insert, if successful then update the row:
 UPDATE a
   SET serial = nextval('idnumber')
   WHERE foo=$newfoo AND bar=$newbar; /* variables hold new values */

Look into bracketing both operations within a BEGIN-COMMIT block. Not sure
how that works with sequences, but it might keep that number from
incrementing if you do it the way you wrote.

Ciao
 --Louis  <louis@bertrandtech.on.ca>