Re: [GENERAL] stored procedure revisited

От Mark Jewiss
Тема Re: [GENERAL] stored procedure revisited
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hello,

On Tue, 12 Oct 1999, Yin-So Chen wrote:

> feel the same way (SP makes the program & life better), please raise
> your voice so the developers can hear it (I certainly hope to make this
> into their agenda).  If you don't feel the same way, please raise your
> voice too.  Maybe I will be convinced that it wasn't such a good idea
> after all :)

Ok, here's my two cents worth.

I used to SysAdmin a system that was designed quite some time ago, after
the original designers had left. Essentially the database we had was a
customer contact/billing/invoicing type thing. Oh, and it managed the
company accounts as well.

Ran on MS SQL using VB3 and 5 client applications.

The majority of database manipulation in this environment was acheived by
using stored procedures, which were passed parameters from the various
client programs. This included the fetching, inserting and updating of all
data - this was never done directly from a client app.

The reasoning behind this was to keep everything to do with the data in
the database. I'm not sure if that's a valid reason, but that's the one I
was given.

Every single management report that was needed (and there were *lots* of
them) was created by using stored procedures to find the data required,
and then passing it into Seagate Crystal Info (which is great for reports
BTW if you have the NT environment).

All in all, without stored procedures making that system work would have
been an incredibly difficult task.

Another angle to look at this subject from is to say when DBadmins like
the people on this list are trying to convince more sneior members of
staff, (or in-duh-viduals, if you like), of the merits of something like
Postgres, a feature list is something that can work in our favour. The
fact that it doesn't do something that most, if not all, commercially
available db systems do can work against us,

Regards,

Mark.
--
Mark Jewiss