Re: TODO item

От Alex Pilosov
Тема Re: TODO item
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, 4 Jul 2001, [iso-8859-1] Mart�n Marqu�s wrote:

> I was thinking about a par of things that I think are quite interesting for
> the 7.2 release.
>
> The first one is related to a problem I had with views and rules (permission
> problem). If someone is granted insert on a view with his respective rule,
> won't be able to insert a row if there is a sequence (SERIAL type), saying
> that the user doesn't have permission to change the sequence.
Essentially, sequence is treated as a separate table for purposes of
permission checking. Its probably _not very hard_ to fix, by forcing check
of the underlying relation instead of check of sequence itself...Whether
its a right thing to do, I'm not sure.

> The other is related to indexes on databases other then initiated with C
> locale. The docs say that those databases don't use the indexes on sequencial
> searches. Is this right?

Only queries using  LIKE 'foo%', cannot use indices.

Reason: you don't know what foo will collate in different locale, i.e.
there may be foo with umlaut o, which _should_ match 'foo', but you cannot
index this kind of a search...