Re: Re: New data type: uniqueidentifier

От Alex Pilosov
Тема Re: Re: New data type: uniqueidentifier
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 2 Jul 2001, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Alex Pilosov writes:
>
> > I don't think you know what UUID is. It is NOT just a unique randon
> > number. There are specific rules for construction of such number, specific
> > rules for comparison of numbers (no, its not bit-by-bit), thus a datatype
> > is most appropriate answer.
>
> A data type may be appropriate for storing these values, but not for
> generating them.  Functions generate stuff, data types store stuff.

Sorry, apparently we misunderstood each other but are really in full
agreement.

Dmitry's stuff contains both datatype (uniqueidentifier), a function to
generate a new object of that type (newid), and a set of functions to
implement comparison operators for that type.

I don't see anything wrong with that setup, but maybe I'm still missing
something?

-alex