Re: RFC C++ Interface

От Randy Jonasz
Тема Re: RFC C++ Interface
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
I appreciate your comments and would like to respond to your concerns.
The API I sketched in my earlier e-mail is borrowed heavily from
Rogue Wave's dbtools.h++ library.  I think it can be a very clean and
elegant way of accessing a database.

I realize the job is not a small one nor will it be easy to implement
efficiently but I am excited about taking on the responsibility and I have
the support of my employer to proceed with the project.

In comparison with the current C++ API, I think a more object oriented
approach might encourage the use of C++ with postgreSQL for software
solutions.

Having said all of this, can I count on your support to proceed?

Cheers,

Randy

Having said all of this, can I count on support

On Thu, 7 Dec 2000, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Randy Jonasz writes:
>
> > The following are my ideas for implementing the C++ API:
>
> My feeling is that if you want to create a new API, don't.  Instead
> immitate an existing one.  For you ambitions you could either take the C++
> API of another RDBMS product, try to shoehorn the SQL CLI onto C++, write
> a C++ version of JDBC, or something of that nature.  Designing a complete
> and good API from scratch is a really painful job when done well, and
> given that the market for C++ combined with PostgreSQL traditionally
> hasn't exactly been huge you need all the head starts you can get.
>
> --
> Peter Eisentraut      peter_e@gmx.net       http://yi.org/peter-e/

Randy Jonasz
Software Engineer
Click2net Inc.
Web:  http://www.click2net.com
Phone: (905) 271-3550

"You cannot possibly pay a philosopher what he's worth,
but try your best" -- Aristotle