RE: What database i can use? (fwd)

От Marc G. Fournier
Тема RE: What database i can use? (fwd)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
For those working on INNER/OUTER Joins...any comments? :)

Marc G. Fournier                               scrappy@hub.org
Systems Administrator @ hub.org
scrappy@{postgresql|isc}.org                       ICQ#7615664

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 1999 10:36:52 +0100
From: Berend de Boer <berend@pobox.com>
To: 'Marc G. Fournier' <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc: freebsd-database@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject: RE: What database i can use?

> JOIN statement?  I take it that this is different then:
>
> SELECT a.field1, b.field2 from table1 a, table2 b where a.key = b.key

ANSI92 supports the far better readable JOIN statement:

select a.field1, b.field2 from table1 a join table2 b on   a.key = b.key

Left outer joins are now easy to:

select a.field1, b.field2 from table1 a left outer join table2 b on   a.key = b.key

It generally parses and optimizes faster too. For MS SQL Server I've seen
improvements of up to 75% percent: execution time was the same, but the plan
was calculated much faster.

Groetjes,

Berend. (-: