Re: [HACKERS] Postmaster options, process spawning, logging, etc.

От The Hermit Hacker
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Postmaster options, process spawning, logging, etc.
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 15 Dec 1999, Matthew Hagerty wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> Sorry for all the posts, but I'm trying to put my finger on my backend crash.
>
> Any insight on any of the following would be very helpful:
>
> How many backend processes is considered a large number?  The man pages
> says the default is 32.  Does anyone set their number higher?
>
> Kind of related to the question above; when does the postmaster spawn
> another backend process?  Is it for each additional connection, or will
> each backend process handle several connections/queries before another
> process is started?

spawns a new backend for each new connection...

> The postmaster log file, why are the entries not datestamped?  If I start
> the postmaster with a debug level of 2 or greater do I get datestamped
> entries?  Also, what is the highest debug level and how big can I expect
> the log to grow?  Can I rotate the log without stopping the postmaster?

pg_options provides the ability to send the log to syslog, which would
give you both the timestamping, and the ability to 'cleanly' rotate the
logs...

Systems Administrator @ hub.org