Re: [HACKERS] Raising funds for PostgreSQL

От The Hermit Hacker
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Raising funds for PostgreSQL
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, 4 Dec 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > While I have no doubt such an idea for $$ for open source code development
> > would fly, my initial reaction would be opposed to it because I think the
> > overall effect would be to pollute the long-term purity of the open source
> > pgsql development effort by incenting short-sighted development to earn
> > cash.  Quality controls can never keep up.  Here's a bit more on my
> > perspective...
>
> My assumption is that the bids are open only to proven PostgreSQL
> developers, and that the quality of the work must meet the same
> standards we use for all our patches.  All our patches are
> peer-reviewed.

Actually, this is what PostgreSQL, Inc was formed for many months
back...there was, at one time, a URL on our page, and an email message
sent out by myself, explaining this whole "contribute toward
features" aspect of things, but, going through www.pgsql.com, it appears
to have been trim'd out at some point :(

Will go through my old mailboxes and see if I can find this again, but the
gist of the concept was that we have a contributions section on our web
page, which is currently a part of the products page...if you click on it,
the order for you get presented includes a list of those features where
you can contribute towards having that feature added...

The features that are listed right now are short, but if something isn't
listed, email us and we'll add it to the list...

The features listed has to be something on the TODO list...if not, it has
to be proposed to the -hackers list and added to the TODO list.

I'm searching through my old email rigth now to try and find the original
message on this, but this has both been discussed already *and*
implemented...

Systems Administrator @ hub.org