Re: Alter Table problems

От Stephan Szabo
Тема Re: Alter Table problems
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
On Fri, 27 Apr 2001, Scott David Walter wrote:

> I am attempting to add a few attributes to an existing table that already
> contains data.  The problem that I am having is that the new attributes
> that I want to add need to be forgein key references to other tables.  I
> can't figure out how to create the attribute with a reference to another
> table.  I tried the following, but all it did was create the
> attribute... no forgein key:
>
> ALTER TABLE student ADD COLUMN major REFERENCES degree_major;

You can add the foreign key with something like:
ALTER TABLE student ADD CONSTRAINT <name> FOREIGN KEY(major)REFERENCES degree_major;

There are lots of little issues with alter table right now that
are getting fixed as time goes on.  I expect that some version
of drop column will make it into 7.2, for example.