Re: Installing Postgresql 7 on either RaQ3i or RaQ2

От Jeff MacDonald
Тема Re: Installing Postgresql 7 on either RaQ3i or RaQ2
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hello,

Recently i had to upgrade a raq3 from 6.5.2 (default) to
the 7 series. there's a few ways you can go about it.

1 : backup the "cobalt" database , unrpm the postgresql 6.5.2
but carefull not to hose the special-sauce.rpm..

  then install postgresql 7 from source (it compiles fine.) initdb
  and restore, and remember that for the gui to work postgres has
  to run on port 5833 (afaik)

or

2: make another user and install 7.0 under that user, so they are
   both running. that way you haven't touched the default 6.5.2 installation
   and your cobalt raq3 license/support doesn't instantly expire.

oh and if you hose your special sauce schema, don't both calling SUN, they
won't give it to you for free.. or so i heard :)

Jeff

On Mon, 5 Feb 2001, Tatsuo Ishii wrote:

> > >  > I desperately need to get Postgresql 7 running on either a RaQ2 or

> > >I suppose you have no problem to build PostgreSQL 7.1 beta on
> > >RaQ2. Just unpacking the tar file and following the procedure
> > >documented in the "INSTALL" file should work. What kind of problems do
> > >you have?
> >
> > I have been told by Cobalt that if I install it will affect the GUI
> > interface and render it unavailable?
> >
> > Can I simply download the 7.1 files and install? Should not effect the GUI?
>
> On my RqQ2 there is no GUI using PostgreSQL at all. So I don't believe
> installing PostgreSQL affects that part.
>
> I'm not sure about RaQ3i though. However, in a theory if the
> PostgreSQL part of the GUI has been installed in none standard place
> (that is /usr/local/pgsql), it should not harm pre-installed
> PostgreSQL to install new PostgreSQL by yourself. I think you should
> ask the dealer what "it will affect the GUI interface and render it
> unavailable" exactly means.
> --
> Tatsuo Ishii

Jeff MacDonald,

PostgreSQL Inc        | Hub.Org Networking Services
jeff@pgsql.com        | jeff@hub.org
www.pgsql.com        | www.hub.org
1-902-542-0713        | 1-902-542-3657
Facsimile : 1 902 542 5386