Re: Driver or Postgres doesn't report refer. integr. errors

От Max Khon
Тема Re: Driver or Postgres doesn't report refer. integr. errors
Дата
Список pgsql-interfaces
hi, there!

On Tue, 10 Oct 2000, Cedar Cox wrote:

> > The bad news, whenever I delete or update  a record causing error in referential integrity, no error is reported to
Access.The record seems to disappear, but when rereading the table (or recordset), the 'deleted' record reappears.

> Yes, this is a known problem with the current ODBC driver.  There are
> patches that fix this.
>
> Who's in charge of the ODBC driver?  Patches are fine, but I'm sure there
> are many of us that cannot compile under windows, myself included.  When
> can we get RI violation reporting included in the 'real' ODBC driver?  I
> don't like to rely on a special 'hacked' version of something in a
> production environment.

by the way -- backend protocol does not return numeric error codes
so ODBC driver cannot set SQLCODE's. (SQLCODE returned by ODBC driver is
always empty). So applications that use ODBC can not distinguish
for example, referential integrity errors from backend fatal errors or
errors in SQL statement. Of course, it is possible to examine
string error messages which are returned by backend by this is rather
hackish and there is no evidence that they will not change in future.

/fjoe