Re: PostgreSQL & the BSD License

От The Hermit Hacker
Тема Re: PostgreSQL & the BSD License
Дата
Список pgsql-general
I'm confused here as to why pppl keep going to the "BSD license is
flawed" argument?  The only "flaw" that I can see is that a) the copyright
ended '96 and b) it only covers "UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA" ... all that is
being proposed *at this time* is to add in coverage for the period *since*
'96 and extend that coverage to include *all* developers, not just the
Univesrity of California ...

Now, a) is easily fixable by just extending the date to 2000, but that
still only covers "UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA", and none of the actual
developers ...

If ppl feel that neither a) or b) above aren't considered flaws, then let
us leave well enough alone ...

The wording in the 'DEVELOPERS' section of what I sent out last night is a
little more verbose, so we could cut it down to be exactly the same as the
BSD one, and 'trim the fat' ... so that all we are "changing" is
"UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA" to "DEVELOPERS", and leaving the rest of the
wording completely intact ... ?

My personal feeling is that if the BSD license itself was so flawed, there
are at least another dozen projects out there that deal with commercial
enterprises on a larger scale then we do that would have done changes also
... I don't want to change the wording, I would just like to see it
extended to cover the ppl that are actually doing development and not just
UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA ...

make sense?  or are we just sitting here discussing changes to a license
that doesn't need changing?