Re: Postgres Instability

От The Hermit Hacker
Тема Re: Postgres Instability
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, 24 May 2000, Karl DeBisschop wrote:

> The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> > > We've been running 7.0 on a linux server since RC3 on a database with
> > > over 40 million tuples without this problem (all 40 million tuples are
> > > indexed on 3 fields).  So I'm not sure I see how it can be concluded
> > > that this is a linux problem.
> >
> > Could his Linux server be  mis-configured?
>
> Could be.  But he said he installed separately on several installs -
> redhat 6.1, 6.2, and mandrake I believe.
>
> I don't think he indicated whether he used the RPMS or compiled himself.
> Assuming this is some sort of configuration issue, which seems sort of
> likely, it's at least as likely that it's related to a misunderstanding
> about how to cofigure postgreSQL.
>
> Since I can't reproduce the error, and since I'm only beginning to get
> familiar with little bits of the DBMS internals, I can't really help.
> But I did want to put my counter-example out there so that Linux users
> wouldn't get the sense that your fine product is somehow unreliable on
> Linux.  IIRC, Linux is a large part of your installed base - no real
> point in scaring them off.  Even if there are other legitimate arguments
> for other OS's.

no probs, I just wanted to point out the possibility that it was a server
config issue, and not a postgresql one ... as I mentioned in another part
of this thread, FreeBSD doesn't enable SharedMemory by default, so without
a kernel build, you can't use PostgreSQL :(

Сообщение: Re: Re: [ANNOUNCE] PostgreSQL 7.0 a success
Сообщение: Re: Re: [ANNOUNCE] PostgreSQL 7.0 a success