Re: [HACKERS] Re: vacuum timings

От The Hermit Hacker
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Re: vacuum timings
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 21 Jan 2000, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> [Charset koi8-r unsupported, filtering to ASCII...]
> > Tom Lane wrote:

> > > Which we knew...

> > > Quite a few people have reported finding the opposite in practice.
> >
> > I'm one of them. On 1,5 GB table with three indices it about twice
> > slowly.
> > Probably becouse vacuuming indices brakes system cache policy.
> > (FreeBSD 3.3)
>
> OK, we are researching what things can be done to improve this.  We are
> toying with:
>
>     lock table for less duration, or read lock

if there is some way that we can work around the bug that I believe Tom
found with removing the lock altogether (ie. makig use of MVCC), I think
that would be the best option ... if not possible, at least get things
down to a table lock vs the whole database?

a good example is the udmsearch that we are using on the site ... it uses
multiple tables to store the dictionary, each representing words of X size
... if I'm searching on a 4 letter word, and the whole database is locked
while it is working on the dictionary with 8 letter words, I'm sitting
there idle ... at least if we only locked the 8 letter table, everyone not
doing 8 letter searches can go on their merry way ...

Slightly longer vacuum's, IMHO, are acceptable if, to the end users, its
as transparent as possible ... locking per table would be slightly slower,
I think, because once a table is finished, the next table would need to
have an exclusive lock put on it before starting, so you'd have to
possibly wait for that...?

>     creating another copy of heap/indexes, and rename() over old files

sounds to me like introducing a large potential for error here ...

>     moving analyze out of vacuum

I think that should be done anyway ... if we ever get to the point that
we're able to re-use rows in tables, then that would eliminate the
immediate requirement for vacuum, but still retain a requirement for a
periodic analyze ... no?

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] Re: Date/time type
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] Re: Date/time type