Re: [HACKERS] VACUUM VERBOSE ...

От The Hermit Hacker
Тема Re: [HACKERS] VACUUM VERBOSE ...
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sun, 9 Jan 2000, Tom Lane wrote:

> The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org> writes:
> > NOTICE:  Index word_url: Pages 16645; Tuples 5004183. Elapsed 3/9 sec.
>
> > I'm curious about the Elapsed ... it took several minutes to before that
> > pop'd up on the screen, which is why I ask...
>
> That'd been bothering me too.  A glance at the vacuum code makes it
> clear that what's being reported is not elapsed time at all: the numbers
> are user and system CPU time.  OK, that's cool, but the wording of the
> notice message needs to be changed to identify the numbers correctly.
>
> Do we need to have actual wall clock time in there too?

I don't have what I would consider an "absolutely quiet system", nor is my
system particularly loaded since we moved the news server to a dedicated
machine...so its basically running a web server and database server right
now...3/9sec of user/sys time vs >5min of real time sounds like a major
difference in time...

I don't think we need actual wall clock time in there, since that is easy
to calculate :)

Systems Administrator @ hub.org