Re: [GENERAL] Re: Is PostgreSQL ready for mission critical applications?

От The Hermit Hacker
Тема Re: [GENERAL] Re: Is PostgreSQL ready for mission critical applications?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Sun, 21 Nov 1999, Jochen Topf wrote:

> > Stephen Birch <sbirch@ironmountainsystems.com> writes:
> > Question: Is PostgreSQL ready for mission critical applications?
> > [...]
>
> I can *not* recommend using PostgreSQL for a mission critical application. I
> have used PostgreSQL for a reasonably sized project, where it is used as
> the central database for an ISP for administration of all users, accounts,
> hosts, ip numbers, accounting, etc. The decision for PostgreSQL was based
> on cost and features. Like you, I needed transactions and other goodies
> like triggers and notifications, that no other freely available database
> can provide.

Odd, I've been using PostgreSQL since v1.x for exactly this same reason,
and we haven't had any problems with the database crashing since v6.x was
released.  Then again, the radius server opens/closes its connections as
required, instead of relynig on one persistent connection, so maybe that
helps, but that's just "application programming" vs backend...

Also, PostgreSQL is the *key* element to the virtual email system that I
built around Cyrus IMAPd several months back...if PostgreSQL was "flakey",
I'd have users losing email left, right and center...basically, *all* mail
delivery, and user authentication, relies on PostgreSQL being up 24/7
*period*...and I consider that one to be even more mission critical then
the accounting system above.

I'm stuck at something like 6.4 for the accounting app, and 6.5.0 right
now for the virtual email system, so I'm not even running the more up to
date 6.5.3 yet...

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Сообщение: Re: [GENERAL] Re: Is PostgreSQL ready for mission critical applications?
Сообщение: Re: [GENERAL] Re: Is PostgreSQL ready for mission critical applications?