UPDATE cell from text file

От Jason C. Wells
Тема UPDATE cell from text file
Дата
Re: [GENERAL] UPDATE cell from text file  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
Список pgsql-general
This has got to be easy but I am having a hard time finding the right
docs.

What I want to do is analogous to:

UPDATE website SET content='contents of a big ass file that I dont want to
type on the command line' where filename='index.html';

How can I do this?

Can I do this without writing a seperate shell and/or perl script?

Also, is there a stdio stream that I can use to pipe data into SQL
commands? Man, If I had this I could get a lot done in a hurry.

FWIW, I am not looking for COPY-ing delimited data from a flat file into a
table. I don't want to make new rows. I am trying to bring the contents of
an entire file into an existing single cell (namely content) of a table.

Am I going to be stuck just putting pointers to files in my database? Ugg,
I really want ALL my data in one place.

Please CC this address.

Thank You,     | http://students.washington.edu/jcwells
Jason Wells    | "Those who would trade freedom for security deserve neither