Re: [HACKERS] Re: HISTORY for 6.5.2

От The Hermit Hacker
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Re: HISTORY for 6.5.2
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 21 Sep 1999, Michael Simms wrote:

> I would have to say that if you 'started out with theintention of writing
> a corba front-and' then I dont think you can really speak for newbies.
>
> When I started using postgresql I had vaguely heard of odbc and I had
> a couple of example queries of SQL.
>
> If I had had to go to template1 and create database whatever; and THEN
> go use it, I would have been fairly confused.

Why?  How did you learn about the createdb or createuser commands in the
first place?

Section 20 of the INSTALL file could read:
      20. Briefly test that the backend will start and           run by running it from the command line.           a.
Startthe postmaster daemon running in the              background by typing              $ cd             $ nohup
postmaster-i > pgserver.log 2>&1 &    b. Connect to the database by typing    $ psql template1           b. Create a
databaseby typing              $ create database testdb;           c. Connect to the new database by typing:
template1=> \connect testdb           d. And run a sample query:              testdb=> SELECT datetime 'now';
e.Exit psql:              testdb=> \q           f. Remove the test database (unless you will              want to use
itlater for other tests):              testdb=> drop database testdb;

now the end user knows how to create and drop a database properly...

hell, add in a few extra steps for creating a new user and deleting
him...once ppl know the commands exist, they will use them and learn how
to better use them...

For 'newbies', they learn about createdb/createuser from the INSTALL
file...it doesn't take anything to teach them to do 'CREATE DATABASE' vs
'createdb', and it gives them the *proper* way to do it...

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] Re: HISTORY for 6.5.2
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] Re: HISTORY for 6.5.2