Vacuum/corruption

От Jeff MacDonald
Тема Vacuum/corruption
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi folks,

Looking for suggestions..

Have a table with 5 cols. about 1 gig, on a dual
PII 450, 512 megs of ram, running redhat. How long
should a vacuum take ?

Also , could droping an index while data is being inserted
corrupt a table ? I thinking there is data corruption because
i get the following error in 2 situations
   1: while trying to do a select into
   2: while trying to recreate the index.

getranked=> create index click_timestamp_idx on clicks (timestamp);
        before or while processing the request.
We have lost the connection to the backend, so further processing is
impossible.  Terminating.

also got this error in the log..

StartTransactionCommand
ProcessUtility
/usr/bin/postmaster: reaping dead processes...
/usr/bin/postmaster: CleanupProc: pid 31209 exited with status 139
/usr/bin/postmaster: CleanupProc: sending SIGUSR1 to process 31208
/usr/bin/postmaster: CleanupProc: sending SIGUSR1 to process 31204
/usr/bin/postmaster: CleanupProc: sending SIGUSR1 to process 31203
/usr/bin/postmaster: CleanupProc: sending SIGUSR1 to process 31201
NOTICE:  Message from PostgreSQL backend:
        The Postmaster has informed me that some other backend died
abnormally and possibly corrupted shared memory.
        I have rolled back the current transaction and am going to terminate
your database system connection and exit.
        Please reconnect to the database system and repeat your query.
/usr/bin/postmaster: CleanupProc: reinitializing shared memory and
semaphores
shmem_exit(0) [#0]
NOTICE:  Message from PostgreSQL backend:
        The Postmaster has informed me that some other backend died
abnormally and possibly corrupted shared memory.
        I have rolled back the current transaction and am going to terminate
your database system connection and exit.
        Please reconnect to the database system and repeat your query.
/usr/bin/postmaster: CleanupProc: pid 31208 exited with status 0
NOTICE:  Message from PostgreSQL backend:
        The Postmaster has informed me that some other backend died
abnormally and possibly corrupted shared memory.
        I have rolled back the current transaction and am going to terminate
your database system connection and exit.
        Please reconnect to the database system and repeat your query.
/usr/bin/postmaster: CleanupProc: pid 31201 exited with status 0
/usr/bin/postmaster: reaping dead processes...
NOTICE:  Message from PostgreSQL backend:
        The Postmaster has informed me that some other backend died
abnormally and possibly corrupted shared memory.
        I have rolled back the current transaction and am going to terminate
your database system connection and exit.
        Please reconnect to the database system and repeat your query.
/usr/bin/postmaster: reaping dead processes...
/usr/bin/postmaster: CleanupProc: pid 31203 exited with status 0
/usr/bin/postmaster: reaping dead processes...
/usr/bin/postmaster: CleanupProc: pid 31204 exited with status 0

Jeff MacDonald
    jeff@pgsql.com    irc: bignose on EFnet