Re: [GENERAL] 8k limit

От Mike Meyer
Тема Re: [GENERAL] 8k limit
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, 27 Oct 1998, Dan Delaney wrote:

> Is there any chance of the 8k tuple limit going away in
> future releases of PostgreSQL? I was working on setting up a
> listserv archive with fields such as sentfrom, date,
> subject, and body, but the content of the body field would
> often exceed 8k because some people are just long-winded.
> I'd really rather not have to deal with the LO interface.
>    Thanks.
>  --Dan

Put the body (and the header text) in large objects instead of using
it as text. If there's a function that lets you search the contents of
a large object from SQL, I couldn't find it built in. You can either
add it as a C extension (if you do that, please share it), or let SQL
narrow the selections down, and then do the search externally.

If all you were planning to offer was a full text search, then you'd
probably be better off using something like a glimpse index than SQL.

    <mike