Stupid question: concatenating strings

От Justin Long
Тема Stupid question: concatenating strings
Дата
Re: Stupid question: concatenating strings  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-novice
I can't figure out how to do this.

I want to do the following

UPDATE newlink SET newfrom = substr(oldfrom,0,1) + '-' + substr(oldfrom,1)

... I want to do this:

take the following variables

CAFG
CBTN
CNPL
CUSA

and transform it to this:

C-AFG
C-BTN
C-NPL
C-USA

Someone please help me! I've been through the user manual & I can't find out
how to do it. Pgsql just tells me:

Unable to identify an operator '+' for types 'text' and 'unknown'
You will have to retype this query using an explicit cast

Justin Long                Network for Strategic Missions
1732 South Park Court        Never retreat. Never surrender.
Chesapeake, VA 23320, USA    Never cut a deal with a dragon.
757-213-2055, ICQ 83384482    http://www.strategicnetwork.org
Monday Morning Reality Check:    reality-check-subscribe@egroups.com