Re: Optimize query for listing un-read messages

От Andreas Joseph Krogh
Тема Re: Optimize query for listing un-read messages
Дата
Список pgsql-general
På lørdag 03. mai 2014 kl. 23:21:21, skrev Alban Hertroys <haramrae@gmail.com>:

On 03 May 2014, at 12:45, Andreas Joseph Krogh <andreas@visena.com> wrote:

> Do you really need to query message_property twice? I would think this would give the same results:
>
> SELECT
>     m.id                          AS message_id,
>     prop.person_id,
>     coalesce(prop.is_read, FALSE) AS is_read,
>     m.subject
> FROM message m
>     LEFT OUTER JOIN message_property prop ON prop.message_id = m.id AND prop.person_id = 1 AND prop.is_read = FALSE
> ;

Ah yes, of course that would match a bit too much. This however does give the same results:

SELECT
   m.id                          AS message_id,
   prop.person_id,
   coalesce(prop.is_read, FALSE) AS is_read,
   m.subject
FROM message m
   LEFT OUTER JOIN message_property prop ON prop.message_id = m.id AND prop.person_id = 1
WHERE prop.is_read IS NULL OR prop.is_read = FALSE
;

That shaves off half the time of the query here, namely one indexscan.

The remaining time appears to be spent finding the rows in “message" that do not have a corresponding “message_property" for the given (message_id, person_id) tuple. It’s basically trying to find no needle in a haystack, you won’t know that there is no needle until you’ve searched the entire haystack.

It does seem to help a bit to create separate indexes on message_property.message_id and  message_property.person_id; that reduces the sizes of the indexes that the database needs to match and merge other in order to find the missing message_id’s.

I think the consesus here is to create a caching-table, there's no way around it as PG is unable to index the difference between two sets.

--
Andreas Jospeh Krogh
CTO / Partner - Visena AS

Вложения