RE: Fix pg_publication_tables to exclude generated columns

От shiy.fnst@fujitsu.com
Тема RE: Fix pg_publication_tables to exclude generated columns
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jan 9, 2023 11:06 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> writes:
> > On Mon, Jan 9, 2023 at 5:29 PM shiy.fnst@fujitsu.com
> > <shiy.fnst@fujitsu.com> wrote:
> >> I think one way to fix it is to modify pg_publication_tables query to exclude
> >> generated columns. But in this way, we need to bump catalog version when
> fixing
> >> it in back-branch. Another way is to modify function
> >> pg_get_publication_tables()'s return value to contain all supported columns
> if
> >> no column list is specified, and we don't need to change system view.
>
> > That sounds like a reasonable approach to fix the issue.
>
> We could just not fix it in the back branches.  I'd argue that this is
> as much a definition change as a bug fix, so it doesn't really feel
> like something to back-patch anyway.

If this is not fixed in back-branch, in some cases we will get an error when
creating/refreshing subscription because we query pg_publication_tables in
column list check.

e.g.

-- publisher
CREATE TABLE test_mix_4 (a int PRIMARY KEY, b int, c int, d int GENERATED ALWAYS AS (a + 1) STORED);
CREATE PUBLICATION pub_mix_7 FOR TABLE test_mix_4 (a, b, c);
CREATE PUBLICATION pub_mix_8 FOR TABLE test_mix_4;

-- subscriber
CREATE TABLE test_mix_4 (a int PRIMARY KEY, b int, c int, d int);

postgres=# CREATE SUBSCRIPTION sub1 CONNECTION 'port=5432' PUBLICATION pub_mix_7, pub_mix_8;
ERROR:  cannot use different column lists for table "public.test_mix_4" in different publications

I think it might be better to fix it in back-branch. And if we fix it by
modifying pg_get_publication_tables(), we don't need to bump catalog version in
back-branch, I think this seems acceptable.

Regards,
Shi yu