RE: [Patch] Optimize dropping of relation buffers using dlist

От k.jamison@fujitsu.com
Тема RE: [Patch] Optimize dropping of relation buffers using dlist
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tuesday, December 8, 2020 2:35 PM, Amit Kapila wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 8, 2020 at 10:41 AM Kyotaro Horiguchi
> <horikyota.ntt@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > At Tue, 8 Dec 2020 08:08:25 +0530, Amit Kapila
> > <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote in

> > > This is on the lines I have tried for recovery. So, it seems we are
> > > in agreement that we can use the 'cached' flag in
> > > DropRelFileNodesAllBuffers and it will take the optimized path in
> > > many such cases, right?
> >

> > Mmm. There seems to be a misunderstanding.. What I opposed to is
> > referring only to InRecovery and ignoring the value of "cached".
> >

> Okay, I think it was Kirk-San who proposed to use InRecovery and ignoring
> the value of "cached" based on the theory that even if Insert (or other DMLs)
> are done before Truncate, it won't use an optimized path and I don't agree
> with the same. So, I did a small test to check the same and found that it
> should use the optimized path and the same is true for the experiment done
> by you. I am not sure why Kirk-San is seeing something different?
>
> > The remaining issue is we don't get to the optimized path when a
> > standby makes the first call to smgrnblocks() when truncating a
> > relation. Still we can get to the optimized path as far as any
> > update(+insert) or select is performed earlier on the relation so I
> > think it doesn't matter so match.
> >

> +1.

My question/proposal before was to either use InRecovery,
or completely drop the smgrnblocks' "cached" flag.
But that is coming from the results of my investigation below when
I used "cached" in DropRelFileNodesAllBuffers().
The optimization path was skipped because one of the
Rels' "cached" value was "false".

Test Case. (shared_buffer = 1GB)
0. Set physical replication to both master and standby.
1. Create 1 table.
2. Insert Data (1MB) to TABLE.
    16385 is the relnode for insert (both Master and Standby).

3. Pause WAL on Standby.
4. TRUNCATE table on Primary.
  nrels = 3. relNodes 16389, 16388, 16385.

5. Stop Primary.

6. Promote standby and resume WAL recovery.  nrels = 3
  1st rel's check for optimization: "cached" is TRUE. relNode = 16389.
  2nd rel's check for optimization. "cached" was returned FALSE by
    smgrnblocks). relNode = 16388.
  Since one of the rels' cached is "FALSE", the optimization check for
  3rd relation and the whole optimization itself is skipped.
  Go to full-scan path in DropRelFileNodesAllBuffers().
  Then smgrclose for relNodes 16389, 16388, 16385.

Because one of the rel's cached value was false, it forced the
full-scan path for TRUNCATE.
Is there a possible workaround for this?

Regards,
Kirk Jamison