RE: parallel vacuum comments

От houzj.fnst@fujitsu.com
Тема RE: parallel vacuum comments
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thur, Nov 4, 2021 1:25 PM Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 3, 2021 at 1:08 PM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Sounds good.
> > >
> > > During the development, I wrote the patch while considering using
> > > fewer shared memory but it seems that it brought complexity (and
> > > therefore the bug). It would not be harmful even if we allocate
> > > index statistics on DSM for unsafe indexes and “not worthwhile"
> > > indexes in practice.
> > >

> > If we want to allocate index stats for all indexes in DSM then why not
> > consider it on the lines of buf/wal_usage means tack those via
> > LVParallelState? And probably replace bitmap with an array of bools
> > that indicates which indexes can be skipped by the parallel worker.
> >

> I've attached a draft patch. The patch incorporated all comments from Andres
> except for the last comment that moves parallel related code to another file.
> I'd like to discuss how we split vacuumlazy.c.

Hi,

I was recently reading the parallel vacuum code, and I think the patch can
bring a certain improvement.

Here are a few minor comments about it.

1)

+     * Reset all index status back to invalid (while checking that we have
+     * processed all indexes).
+     */
+    for (int i = 0; i < vacrel->nindexes; i++)
+    {
+        LVSharedIndStats *stats = &(lps->lvsharedindstats[i]);
+
+        Assert(stats->status == INDVAC_STATUS_COMPLETED);
+        stats->status = INDVAC_STATUS_INITIAL;
+    }

Do you think it might be clearer to report an error here ?

2)

+prepare_parallel_index_processing(LVRelState *vacrel, bool vacuum)

For the second paramater 'vacuum'. Would it be clearer if we pass a
LVIndVacStatus type instead of the boolean value ?

Best regards,
Hou zj