RE: pg_upgrade and logical replication

От Zhijie Hou (Fujitsu)
Тема RE: pg_upgrade and logical replication
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thursday, December 7, 2023 10:23 AM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 7, 2023 at 7:26 AM Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Dec 5, 2023 at 6:37 PM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com>
> wrote:

> places.

> > > It is to be consistent with other code paths in the upgrade. We
> > > followed existing coding rules like what we do in
> > > binary_upgrade_set_missing_value->SetAttrMissing(). The probable
> > > theory is that during the upgrade we are not worried about
> > > concurrent operations being blocked till the transaction ends. As in
> > > this particular case, we know that the apply worker won't try to
> > > sync any of those relations or a concurrent DDL won't try to remove
> > > it from the pg_subscrition_rel. This point is not being explicitly
> > > commented because of its similarity with the existing code.
> >
> > It seems no problem to me with releasing locks early, I'm not sure how
> > much it helps in better concurrency as it acquires lower level locks
> > such as AccessShareLock and RowExclusiveLock though (SetAttrMissing()
> > acquires AccessExclusiveLock on the table on the other hand).
> >

> True, but we have kept it that way from the consistency point of view as well.
> We can change it if you think otherwise.

I also look into the patch and didn't find problems about the locking in
AddSubscriptionRelState.

About concurrency stuff, the lock on subscription object and
pg_subscription_rel only conflicts with ALTER/DROP SUBSCRIPTION which holds
AccessExclusiveLock lock, but since there are not concurrent ALTER
SUBSCRIPTION cmds during upgrade, so I think it's OK to release it earlier.

I also thought about the cache invalidation stuff as we modified the catalog
which will generate catcahe invalidateion. But the apply worker which build
cache based on the pg_subscription_rel is not running, and no concurrent
ALTER/DROP SUBSCRIPTION cmds will be executed, so it looks OK as well.

Best Regards,
Hou zj

Сообщение: Re: logical decoding and replication of sequences, take 2
Сообщение: Re: logical decoding and replication of sequences, take 2