Re: best db schema for time series data?

От Jayadevan M
Тема Re: best db schema for time series data?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Hi,
> > If you mostly need the last few prices, I'd definitaly go with the
> > first aproach, its much cleaner. Besides, you can store a date/time
> > per price, so you know when it changed.
We too were using such an approach for 'soft deletes'. Soon we realized
that using a one char valid flag to mark the latest records was better. It
was easier to  filter on that. An index on the modified date column was
not being used consistently for some reason or the other.
The VALID records form a small portion of the big table  and an index on
the column help fetch the data pretty fast. Of course, you could partition
on the flag also (we did not have to). A slight processing overhead of
updating the valid FLAG column is the penalty.  This was an Oracle
database.
Regards,
Jayadevan

DISCLAIMER:

"The information in this e-mail and any attachment is intended only for
the person to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or
privileged material. If you have received this e-mail in error, kindly
contact the sender and destroy all copies of the original communication.
IBS makes no warranty, express or implied, nor guarantees the accuracy,
adequacy or completeness of the information contained in this email or any
attachment and is not liable for any errors, defects, omissions, viruses
or for resultant loss or damage, if any, direct or indirect."