Re: exception handling support in pgSQL

От Paramveer.Singh@trilogy.com
Тема Re: exception handling support in pgSQL
Дата
Список pgsql-general

that's cool!
one big stumbling block resolved.!
Next I think I would like to look at the remaining exception handling functionality in PL/SQL
One is clearly user defined exceptions.
The PL/SQL documentation says that one must delare user defined exceptions in the DECLARE block
like:
DECLARE
my_excep EXCEPTION;
BEGIN

and the ONLY way a user defined exception can be raised is through the raise exception command;

RAISE my_excep;

This makes me think that user-defined exceptions can be handled in the pgSQL library without going into SPI.
Whenever we get a 'RAISE xyz' command to execute, we simply compute where the handler is and bracnch off there.

There are some scoping issues as well, which I think can also be resolved in the library.

Would the postgres dev team think this is a good architechture? or should we move user defined exceptions into the core as well?

Lastly, I installed 8.0 to test the exception handling.

The function I used is given as follows.
I extracted ERRCODE_DIVISION_BY_ZERO from plpgsql/src/plerrcodes.h
but the function does not compile.
The error that I get is:

test=# select * from foo(10);
ERROR:  division by zero
CONTEXT:  SQL query "insert into temp values(19/0)"
PL/pgSQL function "foo" line 2 at SQL statement
Have I done something wrong? Exception codes are also absent from the 8.0 documentation (which looks like it needs an upgrade).

drop function foo(integer);
create function foo(integer) returns integer
as '
begin
        insert into temp values(19/0);
        return 1200;