RE: Migrating Postgresql from Linux x86

От Clive Anglin
Тема RE: Migrating Postgresql from Linux x86
Дата
Список pgsql-general

Thanks for the information

Clive A.

-----Original Message-----
From: Carlos Martinez [mailto:camarti@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, February 9, 2018 10:53 PM
To: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Cc: Clive Anglin <canglin@us.ibm.com>
Subject: Re: Migrating Postgresql from Linux x86

Hi.

We do that migration from Postgres 9.0 (x86_64, Centos 6) to Postgres
9.6 (power, SUSE Enterprise 12).

The best way to us was to do a backup (pg_dump -Fc ...) and restore using several cores (pg_restore -j N ..., where N equals to the cores/jobs to be used). How many jobs launch to restore depends on:
the number of cores available and the I/O throughput. Make some test to get the right number of jobs.

Our restore task took around four hours. We had a downtime of seven hours.

Other options are:

* You can try a logical replication (maybe pg_logical).

* Backup/restore without stop and then, make a downtime and synchronize the changed data between tables.

We preferred the failsafe option and made a full downtime and we done the job from Saturday to Sunday with a holiday Monday (It is 24x7x365 business, and get a downtime is somewhat difficult).

Best regards.

Carlos M.

On Fri, Feb 9, 2018 at 7:44 PM, Clive Anglin <canglin@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Anyone have migrated PostgreSQL running on Linux x86_64 to running on Linux on Power platform. Interested in a checklist of things to be done and if there is a proper document with the steps to completing would also be of interest.
>

> Thanks
>

> Clive A.

Сообщение: Re: New Copy Formats - avro/orc/parquet
Сообщение: Re: New Copy Formats - avro/orc/parquet