Re: double entries into database when using IE

От SCassidy@overlandstorage.com
Тема Re: double entries into database when using IE
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi,

If a web page has  JavaScript called on a submit button, like
'onClick="someFunction();", and the function does some stuff, then does a
form.submit(), and DOES NOT REMEMBER TO RETURN FALSE, then the browser is
supposed to go ahead and submit the form.  So, something like that could
possibly happen, but only if the JavaScript is incorrectly written, as far
as I know.   Although, once a submit is done, it would be a gray area as to
whether the form data would still be available for the second submit.

I use JavaScript in forms all the time to interact with a PostgreSQL
database, and don't have any issues like this with debugged code, using
IE6.

Susan

                           David Gagnon

                      <dgagnon@siunik.com>           To:       D A GERM <dgerm@shepherd.edu>

                           Sent by:                  cc:       Postgresql-General <pgsql-general@postgresql.org>

                                                     Subject:  Re: [GENERAL] double entries into database when using IE

                      pgsql-general-owner@pos         |-------------------|

                      tgresql.org                     | [ ] Expand Groups |

                                                      |-------------------|

                           07/05/2005 02:24

                      PM

Hi,

I have seen IE posting request twice to the server when you post using a
button that use javascript.  Per example, if you have a submit button
and call a javascript that actually post the form... IE will still do
the post attached to the submit button.  So you will have 2 submits....
It's stupid but it's true.

It's happen on some version of IE6 I think .. not all for what I remember.

You can search the web for the solution ... I don't remember what I did
or if I actually did something to solve the problem.

/David

P.S.: This is quite OT for the postgresql mailing list .. you don't think ?

  D A GERM wrote:

> I am having a problem when a browser dumps data into a table.
> When the browser is Firefox , it works perfect; when the browser is
> IE, it dumps 2 entries into the table just thousandths of a second apart.
>
> What could be causing this? Is this an issue with IE, Apache or Postgres.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

See our award-winning line of tape and disk-based
backup & recovery solutions at http://www.overlandstorage.com