new monster box CONF suggestion please

От Patrick Hatcher
Тема new monster box CONF suggestion please
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Howdy folks.  We just received an new monster box, and I would like to
field suggestion on setting up the Conf file for the best performance

**************BOX INFO***************
Compaq
2 x 2GHZ XEON processors
7 gigs RAM
100 gigs HD

**********Expected number of Users and connection type:
200  users with 80% connection via VB front end.  20% Web (PHP)

**********Dbase Usage:
This is a mostly a reporting database, so there will be heavy usage of
aggregates (sum,avg, etc)

*********Data Loading
95% of database is truncated and refreshed nightly from mulitple
datasources.
I have a concern with one particular summary table that takes 20 mins to do
an insert/update from 4 individual talbes on our curent system.

Not sure what other infomation I should provide.
TIA
-patrick

Patrick Hatcher
Macys.Com