Visual Fox Pro clients using MySQL or PostgreSQL back-end wanted for book feedback

От MargaretGillon@chromalloy.com
Тема Visual Fox Pro clients using MySQL or PostgreSQL back-end wanted for book feedback
Дата
Список pgsql-general

Publisher Whil Hentzen has been publishing Visual FoxPro books for many years. Whil mentors developers who want to move from Windows to open-source platforms. He has published several books to help users and administrators transition to Linux. Whil has also fought with Microsoft about developers right to develop projects in Visual FoxPro that run on Linux using WINE. Whil is looking for programmers who use Visual FoxPro with MySql, PostgreSQL, and other open source databases to give him feedback on a new book he is publishing. Details and contact information for Whil are below.

Thank you,
Margaret Gillon, IS Dept., Chromalloy Los Angeles, ext. 297

*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***

From Whil's email:

2. VFP and MySQL

Just about all my VFP development over the past seven years has been with
a SQL backend, and over the past four, that backend has usually been MySQL.
It's the perfect complement to VFP - inexpensive, fast, and with 5.0's
introduction of stored procedures, triggers, views and transactions,
there are precious few VFP applications out there that need to spend the
'big' bucks for the 'big' backends. Even better, it'll run on darn near
any OS that you have laying around - Windows, Linux, Mac, and others.

It's worth a look, to say the least.

Anyway, I'm doing a book on VFP and MySQL this spring. I'm putting
the finishing touches on the first six chapters, covering
installation and initial connect from VFP, and still have room for
a couple more folks who want to provide pre-release feedback.

I'm particularly interested in hearing from folks who have used either
MySQL or another back-end, in order to provide a 'reality check' and
alternative points of view.

If you're interested in previewing it as it's being written, drop me a line:
whil@hentzenwerke.com, with 'MySQL' in the subject line, and a note about
what experience, if any, you've got in the C/S or MySQL arenas.