Performance of jdbc insert statements and select nextval

От ralf.baumhof@bgs-ag.de
Тема Performance of jdbc insert statements and select nextval
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc

i found the following problem:

Precise description:
The problem results from the following application problem. We are developing a web application with geronimo application server, JPA persistence technology and PostgreSQL database server. The application is tested on Ubuntu Linux and Windows XP, with postgresql 8.2 and 8.3 servers on java 1.5 and 1.6 platform. I made a test with "logical" insert of objects which results in 50000 inserts can be done within 2 minutes, what means 416 inserts per second, or 1 insert in 2/1000 sec (2ms). The cost estimate with explain for an insert is on the other hand is 0,4 ms. So, where is the gap? I left JPA and tried jdbc. Here i found out: 10000 inserts in sql script can be done by PGAdmin within 3 seconds, a simple jdbc loader program needs 13 seconds. Leaving the id generation to the database, this can be done within 8 sec (but in my jpa world i of course need the id, and there was a severe problem of leaving this task to the jpa model. The automatic id generation (which of course is supported by jpa) did not work in postgresql if the tables are  in a schema).

This is my jdbc test program code:

Yet now i have tried to other database servers. MySql GA and Oracle XE (10g Express). Both servers lead to the same performance (10000 inserts within 13 seconds). So, PostgreSQL is not less or more performant than others. Following a hint from Graig Ringer. May it be that a firewall or virus scanner forces the performance slow down? This perhaps might explain why the system does not scale with faster hardware.

Thanks, Ralf.normal {font-family: "Arial";font-size: 8pt;font-style: italic} .fett {font-family: "Arial";font-size: 10pt;font-style: italic;font-weight: bold; color: navy}
BGS Beratungsgesellschaft
Software Systemplanung AG

 Niederlassung Nord
Ebertstra�e 21
26382 Wilhelmshaven
Fon: +49 (0) 4421 / 9683-700
Fax: +49 (0) 4421 / 9683-790
www.bgs-ag.de
Gesch�ftssitz Mainz
Registergericht
Amtsgericht Mainz
HRB 62 50

Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender
Klaus Hellwig
Vorstand
Hanspeter Gau
Hermann Kiefer
Nils Manegold
BGS Systemplanung AG

 Ein Unternehmen der nextevolution consulting group
Вложения