Re: Problem with encode() function

От Glenn_Wiens@via-christi.org
Тема Re: Problem with encode() function
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
Thanks -- that did the trick! And when I went to consult my documentation
about this command, I realized I was looking at 7.2 docs (downloaded) vs my
currently running version of 7.3.

                    Manuel Sugawara
                    <masm@fciencias.una       To:     Glenn_Wiens@via-christi.org
                    m.mx>                     cc:     pgsql-novice@postgresql.org
                    Sent by:                  Fax to:
                    masm@conexa.fcienci       Subject:     Re: [NOVICE] Problem with encode() function
                    as.unam.mx

                    05/21/2004 05:21 PM

Glenn_Wiens@via-christi.org writes:

> but I still get the error:
>
> ERROR:  Function encode(text, "unknown") does not exist
>         Unable to identify a function that satisfies the given argument
> types
>         You may need to add explicit typecasts
>
> Is there a way I can accomplish this task?

The problem is that there is no cast from varchar to bytea (which is
what encode takes as first argument). Try creating the cast first:

  CREATE CAST (varchar as bytea) WITHOUT FUNCTION;
  SELECT encode(password::bytea, 'base64'::text) FROM texttable;

You may want to drop the cast afterwards.

Regards,
Manuel.