Re: Performance issues of one vs. two split tables.

От SCassidy@overlandstorage.com
Тема Re: Performance issues of one vs. two split tables.
Дата
Список pgsql-general

One other possible reason for splitting the table up in two chunks is to grant different rights on the 2 sets of columns.

Susan Cassidy

Bill Moseley <moseley@hank.org>
Sent by: pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org

05/15/2007 09:44 AM

Postgres General <pgsql-general@postgresql.org>
cc
Subject
Re: [GENERAL] Performance issues of one vs. two split tables.

Sorry, I don't mean to drag this thread out much longer.  But, I have
one more question regarding joins.

Say I have a customer table and an order table.  I want a list of all
order id's for a given customer.

   SELECT o.id
   FROM order o
   JOIN customer c on o.customer = c.id

Does that bring into memory all columns from both order and customer?
Maybe that's not a good example due to indexes.

See, I've seen this splitting of one-to-one tables a number of time
(such as the user and user_preferences example) and I'm not sure if
that's just poor schema design, premature optimization, or someone
making smart use of their knowledge of the internal workings of
Postgresql....

--
Bill Moseley
moseley@hank.org