Re: pg_ [dump & restore] invalid archive problem

От John-Paul Delaney
Тема Re: pg_ [dump & restore] invalid archive problem
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
Tom...  just to confirm your solution to the list, I did a quick test
postgres rpm install (7.3.4) on a separate machine and the pg_restore
worked a charm.

Thanks to Tom Lane & Roy Crombleholme for kind assistance.

/j-p.

----- Forwarded by John-Paul Delaney/ICT/WFP on 05/11/2004 09:53 -----

                      John-Paul Delaney
                                               To:      Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
                      05/11/2004 06:36         cc:      pgsql-novice@postgresql.org
                                               Subject: Re: [NOVICE] pg_ [dump & restore] invalid
                                               archive problem(Document link: Delaney)

Oh.. It's just that they are the versions running on the particular
machines I have to swap between.  Then what I'm looking at is really an
upgrade of the 7.2.4 version, before I can consider installing the db?  I
hadn't realized there was such a difference that it would force an upgrade.
Thanks for the clarification.

/j-p.

                      Tom Lane
                      <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>           To:       "John-Paul Delaney" <John-Paul.Delaney@wfp.org>
                      Sent by:                      cc:       pgsql-novice@postgresql.org
                      pgsql-novice-owner@pos        Subject:  Re: [NOVICE] pg_ [dump & restore] invalid
                      tgresql.org                    archive problem

                      04/11/2004 22:06

"John-Paul Delaney" <John-Paul.Delaney@wfp.org> writes:
> Thanks Tom... I'm hoping to move the db from a version 7.3.3 to 7.2.4

Why?

Archive header incompatibility is going to be the *least* of your
worries.  pg_dump output is not designed to be loaded into old versions
without problems, and in this case you are talking about going backwards
over the addition of schemas.  You'll have all kinds of syntax errors.

I can't imagine why you'd be wanting to go back to 7.2.anything anyway.