Re: Hardware recommendations to scale to silly load

От Matt Clark
Тема Re: Hardware recommendations to scale to silly load
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
> Just a data point, but on my Dual Xeon 2.4Gig machine with a 10k SCSI
> drive I can do 4k inserts/second if I turn fsync off.  If you have a
> battery-backed controller, you should be able to do the same.  (You will
> not need to turn fsync off --- fsync will just be fast because of the
> disk drive RAM).
>
> Am I missing something?

I think Ron asked this, but I will too, is that 4k inserts in one transaction or 4k transactions each with one insert?

fsync is very much faster (as are all random writes) with the write-back cache, but I'd hazard a guess that it's still
notnearly as
fast as turning fsync off altogether.  I'll do a test perhaps...