Re: Vacuum problem

От Peter Darley
Тема Re: Vacuum problem
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Tom,
    Sorry, I always forget to post the version.  I'm running 7.2.1 on Linux.
    I deleted the records from pg_class and pg_type, and vacuum succeeded
without any errors.
Thanks a bunch,
Peter Darley

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Lane [mailto:tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us]
Sent: Monday, August 12, 2002 4:31 PM
To: Peter Darley
Cc: Pgsql-General
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Vacuum problem

"Peter Darley" <pdarley@kinesis-cem.com> writes:
>     I have a problem with my database: whenever I do a vacuum I get a message
> that reads:

> NOTICE:  RelationBuildDesc: can't open pg_temp_25807_9: No such file or
> directory
> ERROR:  _mdfd_getrelnfd: cannot open relation pg_temp_25807_9: No such
file
> or directory

>     It seems that a temp table was dropped from the db without being deleted
> from pg_class.

Hmm.  What PG version are you running?

>     My questions are these:  Is this an indication that there's something
> horribly wrong with my db?  If I just delete the record from pg_class
> (delete from pg_class where relname='pg_temp_25807_9';) will I cause more
> harm to the db or fix the problem?

I'd say delete it, and also delete the similarly-named row in pg_type.
If you wanted to be really rigorous you could try cleaning out the
related rows in pg_attribute and other system tables, but getting rid
of the named pg_class and pg_type rows is probably enough to forestall
any problems.