Re: Clustering, mirroriing, or replication?

От Jon Brisbin
Тема Re: Clustering, mirroriing, or replication?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
At each store, there are a number of POS registers that are networked.  If
they enter a ticket at one register, they should be able to go to any other
register to tender the transaction, etc...

We already have mechanisms in place to remotely download and install
software on existing PCs, so no additional outlay of cash would be required
to set up these existing machines with more software.  To install new PCs in
800 stores at the same time would be a nightmare of logistics that we can't
currently contemplate.  We also can't contemplate what nasty things will be
done to us if we go to the executives and say we're going to fix their
problems by forcing the stores to rely on only one machine.  The restaurant
business is not kind to PC hardware.

One option is to have the POS software always write to a local database,
with that change getting replicated to all other active nodes.  Another
option is to have a "master" database, with a failover as backup.  Downside
here is that if both machines fail, then they are dead in the water.  We
can't make money if the registers aren't operational.  However, this is
similar to what happens now (which is why we want to change it.)

Having mucked with postgres replication a little in the last couple of days,
I'm starting to wonder just how long it will take us to develop a good
replication mechanism.  If one is already in place, I'd just like to use
that.  Or at least learn from someone else trying to set up something
similar.

Thanks!

Jon Brisbin
Development Programmer